Go directly to contents.

You have an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to ensure the best possible user experience.

Certificates from the Population Information System as a self-service

Using this service, you can order certificates both for yourself and your dependants from the Finnish Population Information System. Certificates are subject to a fee.

Ordering a certificate

You can order certificates if
  • you can identify yourself in the service using Finnish identification tokens, such as online banking codes, and
  • you are a Finnish citizen or a current or former permanent resident of Finland. If you live in Åland, you cannot order certificates through this service.
You can also use a foreign identification token to log into the service. However, you cannot order all certificates. Certificates are always delivered by post. What should I do if I cannot order certificates through this service?

Order certificates independently

Before you order a certificate, you can check your current personal data free of charge in the Suomi.fi Web Service on the Personal data page. In this service, you can order certificates both for yourself and your dependants. You can order a life certificate if you have a municipality of residence in Finland.
  • Birth certificate
  • Civil status certificate
  • Life certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Residence certificate
See the certificate templates on the website of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency I have been requested to provide an extract from the population register (virkatodistus), what certificate should I order? Answers to other frequently asked questions

Delivery of the certificate

When you order a certificate for a Finnish actor or the EU Commission or Parliament, you will receive it as an electronic PDF document. No signature will be added to the certificate, and you cannot add a translation form or an Apostille certificate to it later. You can download the certificate as soon as you have made the payment. You can also order the certificate to Suomi.fi Messages. Certificates will not be delivered by paper mail or by e-mail for data protection reasons.

When ordering a certificate for a foreign actor, you will receive it by paper mail to your home address, because a signed certificate is usually required abroad. You can also order an EU translation form or an Apostille. Which one you need depends on the area that you need the certificate for. If the recipient of the certificate is an actor in an EU country, check with the recipient whether they accept electronic or paper certificates. Only the paper certificate contains an official’s signature, and EU translation forms or Apostilles can only be attached to paper certificates. Select the EU Commission or Parliament as the recipient if the recipient accepts electronic certificates.

If you live abroad, you will receive the certificates as an electronic PDF document or by paper mail to your home address, depending on whether you need the certificate for a Finnish actor or abroad.

If you log in to the service using a foreign identification means, you will always receive the certificates by paper mail to your home address.

Certificate types and price list

You pay for the certificates when placing your order. You will need online banking IDs for the order or a credit card to pay for your application.
Loading price list...